Pages

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Summertime - When the living's goal-oriented

Okay... who am I kidding?  My life is always goal-oriented.  It's not just summer.  Before you get impressed by my goal setting ninja capabilities, you should know that anyone who truly knows me (as in, you know... i exist irl, and not just as a virtual presence), knows two things about me:

1.  I use goals as a motivation because I am incredibly lazy
and
2.  I rarely meet my goals.

BUT... I get a whole lot further along with goals that I would without them, and honestly (in case any future employers are reading this) I can be a really productive person when 2 very simple stipulations are added, which are as follows:

1.  There is a big enough reward
or
2.  I have to.

Quick example... getting paid to write is a good reward, in general.  Getting paid $20 for full rights to 750 words, however, is not a good reward.  True story.  Someone actually offered this to me for some pretty good words, if I do say so myself.  But if the price is right, I will say "yes," and once I make a commitment to someone else, I get a very horrible feeling about letting that person down.  So, that is also a very good motivator.

So, let's add "#3. Feeling obligated to someone else" as the 3rd way I am productive.

Another quick example, back at #2... I have to eat to live.  I do not like preparing food.  Nor do I like the task of sitting and eating food.  People have made fun of me for this, but it's just how I am.  I can't help it.  Anyway, as we all know by now, it is essential to eat if I want to live.  At this point in my life (and hopefully, from here on out) I do have a lot to live for and I value life pretty strongly.  So, this is something that can make me much more productive on the making food front.  I have to.

Anyway... not really the point. Just the disclaimer because I do intend to attempt to secure some writing jobs, and I'm not foolish enough to think in this day and age that I can just put something out there on the interwebs without a potential employer looking at it.  Oh, the glories of online journaling!

Whatever.

Here are my goals for the summer:

1.  Write on here 4 times (1 down, 3 to go).  I started small because, let's face it... I don't keep up with this here thing very much.  Mainly because every time I write, I end up getting deep and it's just not good blog fodder.  So, I'm going to try to remember why I like blogging (mainly because it's fun to be sarcastic and random.  Did I just say random?  Am I 14?), and then I will proceed to do that.

2.  Exercise Monday through Saturday.  I'm on day 4 of this, and it's going quite well.  My second blog post will most likely be a run-down of my exercising, so stay tuned for that amazingness!

3.  Be a fun person.  Easier said than done for a melancholy like me, but again I'm on day 4 of this with only one grump session so far!  w00t, w00t!  (wow... see how fun I am?  I just said w00t... twice!  And I have used a lot of exclamation marks already in this post! Guys!  This is seriously working!  Go, goals!)

4.  Enjoy my kids for these last days that I have them.  Okay... while all of these goals are real, this is where I turn deep and serious.  Queue the slow, dramatic music.  I have homeschooled for 8 years.  That's a full 1/3 of my life.  (okay, it's a 1/4 of my life.... okay! a year over 1/5... shut up!)  Point is that it's a long time, and now my kiddos are all going to school next year.  It's a long story about how that happened, but it's happened, and it's happening... in just over 2 months.  I will have no children in the home from 8-2:30.  I kind of feel like Rapunzel when she first escapes from the tower.  I mean, this will either be the best thing ever for our family or my kids will end up seriously screwed up for life, right?  But for real, I will miss them, and I want to enjoy our time together.

Well, four seems like a do-able number.  If I get too crazy, I might overdo it and end up just giving up.  Better stop here.




No comments:

Post a Comment