Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Eating Cookies

My oldest daughter turned 12 at the end of last summer, and it comes with all kinds of adventures.  But one things that perhaps is labeled more accurately as a lack of adventure is that her playtime looks more and more like sitting around reading or using her DS and less and less activity.  So, ever the vigilant parent, I knew I had to do something about that.  That something was initiate her into the glorious world of the workout video.

I will have to go into detail on that later because this isn't really about that process.  I simply mention it to say that I work out on a regular basis.  And in fact, I'm a pretty darn healthy person.  We eat multiple servings of fruits and vegetables every day, and we typically limit our meat to poultry.  )I realize that fish would be better, but I just can't stand most of it.)  We eat whole grains and a good balance of dairy and trail mix.

But man... I tell you what.  Lately (read: for the last 2 days), I've been on such a comfort food kick, it's unbelievable.  Yesterday was rainy, and instantly I want to stay in my PJs, brew some coffee and watch educational programs on historychannel.com.  Okay, fine..... Ellen videos on YouTube.

So, my eating - as evidenced by recent status updates confessing my streak of 5 breakfast meals in a row - has been less than balanced.  Even still, I tried to be healthy when eating my 1st lunch of breakfast, which consisted of toast, eggs, and turkey sausage.  After that, I pretty much gave in to the carb fiend within.

Tonight, I had the sudden urge to make cookies to compliment the coffee that I will be drinking later with my friend Rebeca, one of the few people that visits me while I'm tied down at home by children.  And by that, I mean... well, you can figure out what it means to be tied down at home by children.

But rest assured, as if you were spending your emotional energy worrying about my food intake, that these cookies are healthy, too.  After all, they're packed to the brim with wheat flour, old-fashioned oats and chocolate chips (semi-sweet... I mean, it's practically an herbal supplement.)

Does it make a difference that after I ate a few spoonfuls of the batter that I almost forgot I was supposed to actually bake them?


No comments:

Post a Comment