Pages

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Family Resemblance

Today, the girls and I went to the library, as is our weekly custom.  I swear, it confounds me that people actually buy books when you can get them for free.  But that's a side point.

The point today is how interesting and weird I think it is that family resemblances come out in random ways at random times.  You know, like that photo here or there where you realize you look just like your mother.  Not that that's ever happened to me or anything.

Ok, ya caught me.  I can remember one picture in particular from when I was in college that kind of freaked me out with the uncanny resemblance.  I had grown up hearing everyone - everyone - telling my sister that she looked so much like our mother, but that comment was rarely directed at me.  And when it was, the whole family united in a commenter bashing along the lines of, "People like that just say things because they don't know what else to say."  It was ingrained in me that I looked fully and completely like my dad.

So, this picture knocked me off my base a little, ya know?

And what's this have to do with the library?  What?  Don't you always think about family pictures when you're at the library?  Well, I don't either.

But today, one of the librarians told me that my girls looked exactly alike except for hair color.  But this is contrary to everything that I heard when they were younger.  Things like the ever-untactful, "Wow... your kids don't look anything alike!  Are you sure they're related?" 

Hmmm... let's see.  Do I really need to go into a reproduction lesson right here at the gym?

Now, as Ashlyn has gotten older, I've seen some areas where she and Eve look a bit alike.  (Eve has also gotten older, as I've not yet perfected my anti-aging serum... not that I would give it to my children, thus trapping myself forever in parenthood.)  But I don't know that I've ever really thought they look "exactly alike."  I tried to just be polite and think perhaps this man saw something that I didn't see.  Maybe he was seeing just the right angle of noses or just the perfect degree of a smile where their similarities were captured.

But then, I saw it.  As I was looking into my rear-view mirror to pull out of the parking lot, I saw it.  Both girls had their heads turned down, but I could still see their faces enough.  They were reading their own books, but they looked identical.  It was weird, and somehow it was pretty sweet, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment