Pages

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Work-Out-Video-Aholic

It's true.  I love workout videos.  So much that if I were home alone and feeling like a work out, I would probably even do this one.   Not that I ever have.  Seriously.  I really haven't.

I love workout videos so much that I think I will never, ever, ever, ever get back together with a gym membership.  If you thought I just quoted Taylor Swift, you're wrong.  This is an imitation of Strong Bad and nothing else.

I had a gym membership a couple of times in my life.  I kind of remembering growing up with one, but it really became mine in college.  Mainly because it came with tuition.  But actually, I used it a lot.  My freshman year, I took martial arts 3 times a week and did strength training 3 other days (that's 6 days a week total, for our non-math-oriented friends).  Second semester I added in swimming a few times a week with my roomie, who happened to also have her first class with me and her second class in the same building as mine.  So what the heck, we ate lunch together on those days, too.  She is a very special friend!

The only other time I spent money on a membership was when Ashlyn was nearly a year old.  I suffered from pretty serious postpartum depression for that year, and my pregnancy weight gain (and subsequent retention) did nothing to help that out.  So, though we really couldn't afford it, I joined a gym that offered childcare.  I went there 3-5 times a week, too, for my personal reprieve.  Some days I met with a personal trainer Blake, whose first name was actually Robert, making his name Robert Blake, who for those of you who don't know is a celebrity murderer.  As in... he is a celebrity.  Not that he murders celebrities.  He apparently just murders estranged wives.

But my trainer was cool and nice.  He wasn't a beefcake of a dude who grunted at me.  He was actually pretty lanky, and when I told him I didn't like an exercise he found another one for me to do instead.  I liked that.  I was paying him for motivation and knowledge, not torture.

I digress pretty severely.

So, the workout videos...  why am I sticking with them?

#1.  Because I love to quote movies, and workout videos are no exception.

If you doubt this, then you have obviously never used Thighs of Steel or had an amazingly funny best friend in high school to quote things such as "Alright, Tracy, thanks!"  and "Mm-hm... sure does!"  I mean, you can see how these things can easily fit into everyday conversation 20 years later.

#2.  Because all in all, I'm lazy and loving it.

To be fair to myself, I'm just a low-energy person.  God made me this way.  I have a strong work ethic and I take care of my responsibilities, but in the end, I just don't have the energy that some people have.   So, the thought of packing a gym bag, shoving kids out the door, getting in my car, running back into the house to grab what I forgot, getting in my car, driving to the gym, and unloading the kids in the daycare all before I work out????  No thanks.  This doesn't even include what I have to do afterwards!

#3. Because the music is amazing!

Okay... back to Thighs of Steel.  Who doesn't want to work out to a song with complete lyrics of "Attituuuuuude"?

Even more modern videos like The Firm's latest release has funky beats and weird random sounds on the off-beat.  Stuff you won't run into on the radio at the gym. 

But seriously, some of the best music found in one place is on Cindy Crawford's New Dimension workout.  It's a workout for new moms, but I still use it from time to time because it is a good workout and where else will I find Sixpence None the Richer, Poe, and lunges?

No comments:

Post a Comment