Pages

Saturday, November 17, 2012

On Worshipping Others and Not Finding Rest

This blog was unapologetically designed as my personal blog, in which I say things about myself.  It is a window into my life... a glimpse of what I do (duh... hence the name, folks!)

So, you wanna know what I do?

I worship people more than I worship Jesus.  Not always.  Maybe not even mostly.  But sometimes? Yeah, I do.  I worship my husband.  I worship my facebook friends.  I worship the cool kids in town (weren't they supposed to go away after high school?).

And lately, I've been doing it a lot.

I look to them for my confidence and my acceptance.  I base my feelings of worth on whether they appreciate me, include me, respect me, or have patience with me.

And you know what.... it wears me out.  I'm emotionally drained. 

Because they are gods that will never be satisfied.  They are gods who continually need my sacrifice, to whom I must constantly offer my best.  But my best is not good enough.

Today, I am thankful for Jesus.  A priest who offered himself ... once ... and then sat down, having thoroughly satisfied the one true God's wrath, so that I can come to Him with boldness, not needing to worry about whether I'm good enough.

And in this, I can rest.


For more on this, read my post from last fall when I reflected on the exact freaking same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment